Monday 13 February 2012

Bibbity Bobbity ... Run?

Happy Monday everyone! :) Hope everyone is well and happy and had a wonderful start to their week. So everyone can follow nicely (and tune in and out based on their interests without judgement), I will segment this post into four different areas based on the four overarching themes/dominant goings on in the world of Emily - Domestic Goddessness, Fitness/Training, Work and Social Shiz.

Domestic Goddessness -
So what's been going on in the Capel Kitchen? My resolution for February was to try 5 new recipes that use skills/techniques that I haven't used in the past. I've completed three of the five in the past week and a half. First up, brownies. Now I've made boring ole brownies in the past but after a friend and I hosted a fundraising luncheon last year, I became obsessed with her yummy, moist and perfect brownies. Her secret shocked us all and in fact used pumpkin to keep the mixture so dense and rich. After some realisations that my kitchen is far from fully stocked (Me: 'Uh mum, how do I beat without beaters?' and 'Uh mum, how do I sift without a sifter??') the recipe still came to life and a batch of beautiful pumpkin and ginger brownies was created (and devoured) for a staff meeting at work. Next, a surprise for David's dinner, after he has been uber understanding of my health obsessive nature and avoidance of heavy dinners, I made burgers. But with an emily twist. I made thai turkey burgers, using turkey mince, corriander, chilli, garlic, capsicum and sesame oil in the pattie mixture and topped with salad and chilli/lime dressing on wholemeal buns. Scrumdidliumpious if I do say so myself. And my third (and probably very boring compared to most people's culinary prowess) was terriyaki salmon with brown rice and stir fried green vegetables. The (predicted) tricky bit was actually making the terriyaki marinade from scratch, but surprisingly easier than I had thought and will definitely be making my own rather than buying from a bottle next time! So that concludes my kitchen capers, but as the weeks tick along and weekends without David continue (he's working Saturdays and Sundays from now on) I am hoping those last two recipes will be doozies and I will be able to challenge myself a bit more - I kind of took the easy road with the past three hehe.

Fitness/Training -
It wouldn't be an Emily post without a mileage update! Last week was a good week, with David going back to work and I found that routine was definitely coming easier. So up went the motivational training plan (and cartoon fattie sketches hehe) on the whiteboard. Dave and I have been following the City2Surf  half marathon training plan which it quite do-able in that is works on a slow increase in distance and speed. We've surprised ourselves with how quickly our bodies have adapted and already finding our aerobic fitness had gotten so much better. So (drum roll please those of you who actually cared about the fitness training portion of this post) my total mileage for last wk (Mon to Sun) was 51.5km (31.5km running and 20km riding). My BIGGEST accomplishment however was my Sunday long run, which was 7km straight - my longest ever consecutive distance. I was so happy and felt physically strong and NOT like I was going to die (which is always a pleasant way to feel post run). Bring on Feb 2013 - my international half marathon debut ;)

Work -
I've had a wonderful week at work and it finished with a country speechie team meeting on Friday. It was fantastic to finally put faces to the names of so many people I have spoken with over the past few weeks! I was also blessed to see lots of lovely clients who made me smile. The kidlets from my three year old caseload were absolutely gorgeous and their innocent little comments during the treatment sessions were freakin cute. I've finally established my caseload to have regular clients and treatment blocks booked, with heaps of new assessments chucked in to continue to work on our waitlists. I've been using my iPad in therapy A LOT this week and have found some great programs/apps that have been so well received by the kids and when I get time (and motivation) I will provide a little summary post about some of the best speech activities using the ipad and also an update for my speechie friends on the various resources I've developed. So short little entry detailing the 'work' aspects of my life, but definitely short and sweet, because work's been wonderful and continues to be EXACTLY the challenge and experience I was seeking.

Social -
So this is likely to be a VERY short synopsis because, without sounding like a very very sad sack, my social life hasn't really 'thrived' since being down here. BUT I also took up a few opportunities on the weekend to ensure I wasn't left in my own company for too long (some people still don't understand how I don't enjoy time on my own but I just cannot stand it - what can I say, I'm a really annoying personality hehe). Saturday started with a trip into Bunbury where I met up with a lovely group of ladies who are all signed up to do the next round of Michelle Bridges 12WBT (a fitness program I did 2 x last year). We met to do our fitness test for the start of the round which involved a 1km time trial, wall sit, sit up, push up and flexibility tests. It was lovely to mingle with people other than my darling housemate (sorry David hehe!) for a bit of a change and it was lovely to be surrounded by such wonderful people embarking on such a healthy and positive journey. Then my darling friend came for a very long (and very appreciated drive) from Perth to keep me company. We parked our asses at my little wooden table and shared a cupper and 5 hours of chatting about everything and anything. An absolutely blissful Saturday afternoon :) On Sunday I was up bright and early and headed to Capel church for their very very early country service! It was absolutely bizarre to be in a parish that was the smaller than the size of a football team!! After mass I headed into Busselton to meet up with a friend that was a couple of years above me at uni who has recently started up her own practice down here. It was soo lovely to sit and chat and catch up on all things big and small. But also, it was really reassuring and comforting to have someone from a professional point of view that I could chat with regarding difficult clients, logistics of working in a country town and just general speechie banter. The 3 hours flew by and it's nice to know that I have a friend I can call that will be keen for a chat if anything personal/professional comes up :) I finished my Sunday watching the film 'The Help' w Emma Stone. It was such an amazing film that I originally had noooo desire to see (sorry mama!) but absolutely loved!! I also got out 'Aristocats' but that may wait til a while, hehe.

So my apologies to anyone that I may have bored poop-less, but this was my weekly summary and so I thought I'd share for anyone interested ;)

Wishing everyone a lovely week filled with lots of success, smiles and cuddles.

Mle xx

No comments:

Post a Comment