Tuesday 7 February 2012

Wonderful weekends, electricity failures and ham-hair.

I hope everyone had an amazing weekend, as I did. It was such beautiful weather, definitely some welcome relief from the sauna inducing heatwave we've been experiencing over the past few weeks! I firstly want to apologise for the extreme delay in post updates, Dave and I are sans internet at home as our USB stick thingo ran out of credit and we haven't had a chance to top it up yet. So I got to work at a ridiculous hour this morning to sneak use of the internet before 8am when the first cab off the ranks arrives, hehe.
The weekend was incredible with a visit from my lovely mama and dada, and with Dave's parents and my aunty and Adam ("eek Dave, it's the landlord, hide the smoking parafanalia, asylum seekers and the non-toilet-trained pets) joining us on the Sunday for lunch.

The weekend started with a blissfilly boring night in on Friday as Dave had a date with the cricket and I decided to use the time to work my brain and do a bit of study (yes, yes, don't say it, I know!). Sidenote for my speechie friends - For those of you who have Rhea Paul's textbook on assessment and intervention in childhood speech/language disorders, and like me used it more often as a door stop than as a learning aid, go back and have a read!! It actually has a lot of useful information and clinical anectdotes where you can see how the theory of what we have learnt was applied in a realistic clinical setting.

My Saturday began with a run and ride to get myself mentally psyched for the Donnybrook Food and Wine fest, where I planned on tasting every possible taste-test option available. Mama arrived by train (oh how 1960s') just before midday so we headed straight to the food and wine festival that had promised to be a culinary shmorgesbord!! Well, it was 'good' and there were a few little quaint stalls that sold really lovely things and offered tasters like marinated feta (drool) and raw cacao treats (surprisingly very very yummy, but not-suprisingly very very expensive!). But overall it was a wee bit of a let down because there wasn't the yummy options that we were expecting and it was quite a stock standard range of produce. But, at $5 a glass for taste tests, Mama and I drowned our sorrows (a few mLs at a time) in yummy wine tasters! My favourite was the plum port and apricot liquer mmm. I still maintain my Poppy does the best Tawny Port I have ever had, but it was really nice trying all the others and I splurged in my first bottle of White Port! I quite like port because you can't indulge in a few full glasses like you can easily do with wine, you simply have a few sips (usually about 4-5) and then you are satisfied and your belly is all warm and it's, simply put, such a nice feeling!! So, as I do try to cut back on my alcohol intake, port will remain my poison of choice. My delicious, warm, calming poison*.

Saturday night saw the arrival of me daddy - fresh off the green where he had slaved away tirelessly all afternoon trying to get the big ones closest to the little white bocce style ball (that is sadly (?fortunately) the extent of my bowling knowledge!). We explored Capel town and had dinner at the local tav. Suprisingly, I actually really loved the tavern. It's beautifully set out inside (not abiding by stereotypical country pub decor rules at all) and the meals were huge and not too badly priced. AND they had fish and veges on offer - rather than typical greasy pub food menus, their range was actually quite gourmet and (dare-I-say) healthy! So two opposable thumbs up from this health-obsessed foodie.

Sunday was a lovely day, starting w Mama and I exploring the Busselton Markets and having breakfast and coffee at Urban Coffee House (my new favourite place in ole Busso). True to character, I had the Margaret River muesli w natural yoghurt and hooley dooley it was yummy! Mama was impressed with the quality of their coffee (I told you so!) and it was nice to sneak in some more girl time before meeting w the boys later. I'm such a mummy's girl (or maybe just an all round 'family girl' because I get homesick and miss everyone!!) and this weekend was exactly what I needed! The day continued to be brilliant with the rest of the clan (Dave's parents and my aunty and Adam) joining us for lunch at The Deck at Port Geographe Marina. Dave and I tried this place out a few weeks back and it's absolutely stunning. It's deck faces out to the marina and the layout inside is really spacious and modern. The food was also really good (last time I had grilled fish on salmon and leek mash - yummmm!). So we piled out onto the deck and basked in the summer sun and had a beautiful Sunday luncheon. We made a detour to Simmo's after I 'subtly suggested' ('insisted and whinged') that we all go for icecream. I think they must've been flat out with the Jetty Swim in the morning because, disappointingly, there were only 6 flavours to choose from when we got there! But I had my icecream and I was happy :):)

Saying bye to everyone was hard, even though it'll only be a few weeks between cuddles. But the weekend was just so lovely and I was surrounded with so many people that I care about that it was hard to wave them away!

It's been a wonderful working week so far and promises to continue with busy days coming up for me. I have such a more positive mindset and am overall a lot happier if I am busy. On my admin days I tend to have really negative thoughts and constantly second guess myself and become bogged down in insecurities. But the other day my client's mum (after her little boy had done a really good session, and I was singing his praises on how quickly he had picked up the skills we had targeted) said "Well, I think it's because you're a great teacher". Something so simple, and potentially a little bias because he'd had a really good session, but it was really touching and reassuring to know that I'm not doing too badly down here :)

So cheers to a week of half marathon training, successful therapy sessions, yummy dinners and plenty of smiles.

Mle xx

*Disclaimer - I am not an alcohol nor do I have an 'unnatural' or 'adoration based' relationship with port. It's just these were the only words that fittingly described it. Albeit a little too emotively!

**The crytic blog title explained - Well the wonderful weekend is an obvious one. Electricity failures refers to my favoruite little Urban Coffee Shop suffering from power outages on Tuesday morning and I couldnt get my morning coffee (bought coffee is a once-a-week treat for me). Wahh. And, perhaps the most cryptic of all, 'ham hair'. Embarrassingly (but since do I have any shame really so of course I'll share the story) and weirdly, I woke up and the house smelt weird. I didn't know if Dave had left his sandwhich making aparatus' out or what but could not for the life of me work out where the 'ham-like' smell was coming from! It followed me around the house, from room to room, and really puzzled me (I hadn't had my coffee so understandably the ole brain was not functioning at its most optimum capacity). Then it dawned on me that it was my hair. It was only for about 5minutes and then the smell passed so I'm thinking it was more the way my nose was processing smell that morning but never-the-less I was blessed with the gift of HamHair for a short while. Please let me know if you've had a similar experience or if I am, in fact, going mad!

No comments:

Post a Comment