Tuesday 28 August 2012

Race Recap - My 2nd and Daddy's 1st CityToSurf.


 

Nothing short of impressive, dad chose to begin his fun run career in style and with gusto, opting for the 12km City to Surf in Perth. After training fairly consistently, on both Australian and international (Indonesian) soil, dad felt he was ready to give it a go. True to the Meagher style though, he completely underestimated what he was capable of. We had agreed on a plan of attack the night before, as I was still pretty anxious about dad over exerting himself on the course and aggravating his freakin heart condition. We said we would walk the hills, and aim for a 2km/run and 1km/walk interval system. I don’t know our official numbers etc but that plan went out the window and became more of a 3 and 1 rotation. But I’ll try and recap in a bit more detail – such a special and fun day for us.

Night Before – Mama made us an amazingly derish pasta w beef ragout sauce. It went down an absolute treat.  It was an awesome family night in and after a hectic day driving around and up to Perth, very much appreciated. Made all the more special with a visit from my beautiful cousin.

Morning Of – Alarm went off at 6am, and although I could technically sleep in for a while more, I got up as my infamous ‘nervous tummy’ was in full swing! Daddy was up a short time later and I could tell, as nervous and anxious as we seemed, he was overwhelmingly excited too. We electrolyted up w a drink and then had toast for pre-race fuel. We made really good time and ended up getting into town 2hrs before we were due to start... Oh well! We pottered around (and it allowed us time for emergency toilet stops for yours truly!). Eventually meeting up with Dad’s long time mate and my ‘uncle’ Pol who had agreed to run with us. And impressively so, we found out he had been sick with the flu all week!
Daddy and I about to head out the door!





The Run – I cannot emphasise how blessed we were with the weather. Absolutely beautiful day. Started off well, jogging at the very beginning (our first deviation from the plan!) and quickly encountered the first hill up alongside King’s Park. WHAT THE FRIG? It is a ridiculous hill! Haha. Anyway, as soon as we got to the top, it was run time. And the man can move!! He is a quick little silver fox and was darting through the crowds to try and gain ground. According to my Garmin when we were running – we were averaging 5:30-5:45min/km. THIS MAN DIDN’T RUN 5 MONTHS AGO AND HE IS (easily) KEEPING UP THAT PACE! We kept this rest and run plan throughout the run. I don’t know if it was the sentimentality of it – running alongside my dad was pretty special and something I had looked forward to for ages – but it was one of the most enjoyable fun runs. Everyone’s energy and the motivational support on the sidelines was so encouraging (I think I high fived about 20 random children along the course, they would stand there with their hand stretched out for runners as they came past – how could I not!?).  Running over that last hill and seeing the beautiful coastline was the best feeling. We only had 1.5km to go and I knew dad would absolutely smash it and there was sooo much support on the final leg of it.

DONE!
 
We crossed the finish line at 81mins 49seconds. Dad wanted to get under 90mins for his first run and CLEARLY he killed his goal!! We finished with smiles on our faces and soooo thirsty. We collected our medals, powerade and hobbled off to the exit. Dad and Pol felt fine, one of my muscles in my hip has a tendency to flair up and sure enough it did. But after some stretching and walking – I was better. We walked to our designated pick up spot (approx 4km away!), but I think it was good for stretching out our legs, and headed into Scarbs for a celebratory drink (a juice and granita!!).
Dad, me and Uncle Pol.

Overall it was an amazingly perfect start to a day. I am SO proud of dad. Beyond proud. I have no words. And even more than that, I am impressed! All his dedication and training definitely paid off and was reflected in his smile at the finish line.
Still Smiling :)
Can’t wait for the finish line photo!!

Mle x

No comments:

Post a Comment