Saturday 7 January 2012

Week: 1 - Status: done and dusted.

Well here we are at the end of my first working week as a country speechie! :) I'm loving my new role so far, everyone here has been so helpful and friendly. The most challenging thing is definitely feeling like I'm 'back at square one'. After a year in my other job, I found that I was able to go about my business and fell into a good groove that ensured I got all my work done, was confident in doing and most importantly I enjoyed doing it! But here I feel like, in having to ask for help with some of the basic admin tasks involved in day to day working life, and in having to familiarise myself with a brand new set of systems and protocols that I feel like I've taken a few steps backwards. But I keep reminding myself that change, or more specifically growth, is a huge driving factor for happiness. So this challenge will ultimately give me a sense of huge satisfaction and pride when I DO eventually master these basic little skills. I've been very lucky and so far the role change has been exactly what I'd hoped for. I've been managing an equal number of adult and paediatric clients and look forward to keeping up this mixed caseload. I don't understand how more speechies aren't "mixed minded" like myself - I seem to be a very rare species. I love the naivety and innocence of the kids - that they could have the most delayed speech and language but they'll still persevere and try to tell you all about what they did on the weekend or their latest toy. I LOVE hiding therapy in games and play so that they continue to be unawares that there is a 'problem' and they just enjoy the time with the 'speech lady'. And on the flipside, I love how speechies can adopt a consultative and supportive role for adults and their families with communication difficulties. Often, but not always, you get a real sense of their utmost appreciation and respect for what we do and what we strive to do for them, and you don't get that instant job gratification with kids in the same respect. I love being able to always restore something (or at least work to restore something, I'm not THAT good - yet ;) ) that someone really treasures, like reading or talking or even something simple like being able to perform functional tasks at home like helping with the shopping list or bills or letters to families. So with that mushy little speil about why I love what I do out of the way - let's move on!!

I finished off my working week with a run. I parked my car at the jetty and told myself I wasn't stopping until I knew I had given it my all and would come back to tell David my 'number' (of kms obviously, get your minds out of the gutter) with a big smile on my face, pride in my heart and sweat, well, everywhere.  I ran 6km. My furthest solo run ever. I was even more proud that I had done this with the negative thoughts of stopping, or finishing early, or my mind telling me 'Oh your knee is a bit sore - maybe that's enough for today' and not to mention an eff-off gusty headwind that pushed me right back! I silenced all the thoughts and used the time to think back and reflect on the week, I thought about my friends and family and wondered what they were doing and I thought about anything else that popped into my mind (well except "it's too hot", "it's too windy", "my legs hurt", "this is boring", "wahhhhhh!").

We spent Friday night and most of Saturday with a good group of friends at their little holiday house in Margs. It was a wonderful night filled with (too) many a drinking game which left this princess a little worse for wears in the morning. I do love a good wine with friends or at the end of a big working day, or a red with dinner, or (Poppy's) port in winter, but I think my days of drinking in ridiculous abundance are coming to a close. I don't like losing the next day to a hangover or not being able to remember things or having that moment when you lie in bed and your breathing changes to that heavy panting and your head spins without your body even moving an inch (yes this all happened on Friday night!). I think one of my resolutions this year will be to drink less but enjoy more. Because of my crazy, loud and ?overbearing personality that I was so generously and genetically blessed with (thank you daddy), I often have just as much fun being sober. I don't have inhibitions to lower so that kind of negates the need for alcohol to let my hair down!! I sound like a boring old fart but I don't mean it like that at all, I just think for my health, wallet and weekend morning sanity, I may politely say no to the seventh drink. But maybe don't take this for gospel - it could be that my hangover from yesterday still hasn't lifted entirely ;)

It's Sunday morning and I'm waiting for my darling little sister to come visit us for the day :) David and I were also planning on doing a few very grown up things, like going into Bunbury to pick out a wardrobe, and a toaster and a few other bits and pieces that we need for the house. We are now, however, proud parents to two healthy baby bins. We have named the white one "general" and the black one "recycling". They are filling out (up) so fast. But in all seriousness it's all those little bits and pieces like getting the bin sorted and buying a dustpan and doing a Saturday afternoon food shop that really cement in my mind that we actually have done it and have left the nest! It seems so basic for most people, because at 23 that's just what you do, but I am (completely admittedly) a tragic homebody who never thought I could stand on my own two feet and always relied on friends/family to get me there. But I think I'm doing ok. And will continue to grow and develop on this little journey anyway - so I'm off to a rather good start.

Mle x

No comments:

Post a Comment